- Of Counsel and USPTO Registered Patent Attorney Licensed in PA and D.C./ IP Prosecution Practice Group
John O'Rourke is a registered patent attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office who has attained Senior Member status in the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE). He serves as a key member of WHGC's Intellectual Property Group. Mr. O'Rourke earned his J.D. from Temple University School of Law and received his M.S. and B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Villanova University. His areas of practice include matters related to technology and intellectual property law with emphasis in the areas of patent assertion, validity, right-to-use, claim coverage, infringement and enforcement, strategic foreign patent filing, design patents, trademark selection, and the identification and preservation of trade secrets.
Mr. O'Rourke has a reputation for tackling complex cases, and has prepared over 500 original U.S. patent applications across a spectrum of technical disciplines. In 1998, Mr. O'Rourke prosecuted the first social network news aggregator technology with one of the largest search engine websites in the 1990's. This technology remains critical to certain search engine platforms today. In another notable example, Mr. O'Rourke was responsible for drafting the patent for the current air traffic control system which monitors airport air and ground traffic. This system is now owned by Northrop Grumman's aerospace sector. It is mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration to be present in all large airports and nationwide.
His industries of experience include semiconductor and optical devices, materials and fabrication, computer, communication and network components, interfaces, systems, and protocols, adaptive and multidimensional signal processing architectures and techniques, coding and error-correction devices and protocols, embedded systems and multimode human-computer interfaces, operating systems, compilers, and applications programs, biometric, cryptographic, and secure communication systems, biomedical and radiological devices, biological and molecular computing, safety devices, shredding and comminuting systems, simple mechanical devices, optics and cameras.
Prior to practicing as an attorney, Mr. O'Rourke served as a Research Engineer at Villanova University where he developed unique solutions for Space Systems Division of the General Electric Corporation. Well-versed with the medical and healthcare industries, Mr. O'Rourke has more than 20 years of experience as a Clinical Research Nurse where he worked with medical devices, medical research protocols, and drug and device studies, and the like. In 1998, he was awarded the John J. Gallen Memorial Award at Villanova University in recognition of his contributions to the fields of healthcare, computer engineering, telecommunications, aerospace, and intellectual property. He is the first attorney to ever receive that award.
IC and Computer-Related Experience:
Advanced processor and controller architectures: MIMD, SIMD, VLIW, RISC; Multiprocessing and multithreading techniques and strategies. Speculative, branch prediction, and ILP techniques and strategies; Cache memories and buffers: hierarchical, multiport, associative, CAMdesigns; Shared memory multiprocessing and memory management units; SOC, multi-core and MCM devices and techniques; Electrical, optical, RF/microwave and multimode signaling methods; VLSI design, fabrication, packaging, testing and production: CMOS, GaAs, InP, SiC; Busses, bus interfaces, multilevel signaling, I/O processing and optimization; Fabrication optimization; and Low power methods such as power, floor plan, layout, and instruction set development and optimization.
Telecommunications and Network Experience:
Adaptive signal processing and architectures; spatial and frequency diversity; multidimensional and array signal processing, including image processing; ISO/OSI Reference Model Layer 1 and 2, including PHY& MAC; ISO/OSI Reference Model Layer 3 & 4, including IEEE 802.x, TCP/IP, and X.25; Wireless including WiFi, Bluetooth, WPAN, and NFC; Signal conditioning and timing management: clocks, CDR, oscillators, PLL, VCO; Modulation devices and methods: AM, FM, PSK, FSK, QAM, PAM, OFDM; Broadcast/access techniques and architectures: TDMA, FDMA, CDMA; Mobile wireless and cellular telecommunications systems and networks: analog and digital (4G+); coding techniques: Reed-Solomon, BCH, turbo, LDPC and Viterbi techniques; components: FEC, transceivers, interleavers, constellation map/MUX; Audio/video amplifiers, filters and coding; Acoustic techniques; Smart phones and personal communication devices; and Internet protocols and languages.
On July 10, 2014, Mr. O'Rourke co-authored an article titled "8 Great Websites that Attorneys Absolutely Must Know About" that reached the #1 spot for most popular articles on Inside Counsel. And on April 1, 2015, Mr. O'Rourke authored another article that also became the #1 most popular article on Inside Counsel, titled "Happy 225th birthday U.S. patent system!"
In April, 2014, Mr. O'Rourke made a guest appearance on KUCI's radio program, The Docket, hosted by Evan Simon. The entire 30-minute program focused on another of Mr. O'Rourke's co-authored articles, "Driverless Technology and the Issue of Liability: Who's Responsible?"
Mr. O'Rourke also can add the title of Inventor to the wide number of hats he wears. On May 13, 2014, U.S. Patent No. 8,723,468, titled "Cooled Motor" issued in Mr. O'Rourke's name.
Professional Award: John J. Gallen Memorial Award, 1998 Villanova University, Villanova, PA
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Prosecution
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2005
- District of Columbia, 1995
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1994
- Pennsylvania, 1993
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1993
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 01/1993
- Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania
- Master of Science - 05/1989
- Major: Electrical Engineering
- Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering - 05/1984
- Minor: Mathematics
- Atlantic Community College, Mays Landing, New Jersey
- Associate of Science in Nursing - 05/1977
- Honors: President of Student Body, School of Nursing, 1976-77
- There is No Such Thing as the Internet of Things – at Least Not Yet!, National Law Journal (Print Magazine), November 23, 2015
- There is No Such Thing as the Internet of Things – at Least Not Yet!, Legaltech News (Online Journal), November 12, 2015
- Beware the pitfalls of provisional patents, Inside Counsel Magazine, November 11, 2015
- Ape for Apps: 9 Great Free Applications for Attorneys in 2015 , Orange County Lawyer Magazine, November 1, 2016
- 15 tips for making Halloween more fun and less scary (legally speaking)!, Inside Counsel Magazine, October 26, 2015
- 10 must-have apps for attorneys for 2015, Inside Counsel Magazine, Aug. 12, 2015
- Happy 225th birthday U.S. patent system! Celebrate by looking at 5 fun, new patents, Inside Counsel Magazine, Apr. 1, 2015
- Bird diapers, helmet parachutes and tricycle lawnmowers: 10 strange and unusual patents, Inside Counsel Magazine, Mar. 4, 2015
- Silver, Garlic and Attorney's Fees: How Judges May Increasingly Employ Fee-Shifting to Ward Off So-Called "Patent Trolls", Orange County Lawyer Magazine, October, 2014
- What Every Inventor Should Know about Patents, Inside Counsel Magazine, Aug. 21, 2014
- 8 Great Websites that Attorneys Absolutely Must Know About, Inside Counsel Magazine, July 10, 2014
- Eleven Great Free Mobile Apps for Attorneys That Were Not Designed for Attorneys, Orange County Lawyer, July, 2014
- What Every University Should Know about the Deemed Export Rule, Inside Counsel Magazine, June 24, 2014
- The Internet of Things and the Issue of Intellectual Property Rights (Part Two), Inside Counsel Magazine, Apr. 1, 2014
- The Internet of Things and the Issue of Intellectual Property Rights (Part One), Inside Counsel Magazine, Mar. 28, 2014
- Driverless Technology and the Issue of Liability: Who's Responsible?, Inside Counsel Magazine, Mar. 14, 2014
- Warning! Wearing Google Glass May Cause Legal Headaches (Part Two), Inside Counsel Magazine, Feb. 28, 2014
- Warning! Wearing Google Glass May Cause Legal Headaches (Part One), Inside Counsel Magazine, Feb. 14, 2014
- The Deemed Export Rule. Orange County Lawyer, February, 2014
- Caution before You Crowdfund! (Part Two), Inside Counsel Magazine, Jan. 31, 2014
- Caution before You Crowdfund! (Part One), Inside Counsel Magazine, Jan. 17, 2014
- Root Map Characterization of Interference Location in a Wide Aperture Antenna Array, on Circuits and Systems, Proceedings of the 32nd Midwest Symposium , August, 1989
- The Use of Root Maps in Antenna Arrays, M.S.E.E. Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering, Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania, May, 1989
- The Effects of Steering Phase Errors on the Optimum Applebaum Array, Technical Note, Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania, 1989
- The Effects of Thermal Noise Power and Steering Phase Errors on Interference Location in the Optimum Applebaum Array, Technical Note, Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania, 1989
- Root Map Characterization of Interference Location in a Wide Aperture Antenna Array, Technical Note, Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania, 1989
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Orange County Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineer, Senior Member, 1981 to Present
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineer, Computer Society, Present
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineer, Communications Society
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineer, Electron Device Society