Stanley L. Friedman
Stanley Friedman has been providing effective representation in white collar criminal defense and complex civil litigation matters for more than 25 years. As a board-certified specialist in criminal law and a former federal prosecutor with the United States Department of Justice, Mr. Friedman brings extensive skill and courtroom experience to every case.
Attorney Friedman's private practice is focused on protecting the rights and interests of individuals facing either civil or criminal allegations of fraud such as public corruption, insurance fraud, securities fraud, Ponzi schemes, embezzlement, tax crimes, money laundering, credit card fraud, computer fraud and counterfeiting of U.S. currency.
As an Assistant United States Attorney for the Central District of California in Los Angeles, California, assigned to the Major Fraud Unit, Mr. Friedman conducted grand jury investigations and effectively prosecuted complex multimillion-dollar cases.
As a criminal defense and complex civil litigation attorney, Mr. Friedman has obtained six injunctions against the state of California and the United States in cases involving more than a billion dollars in healthcare costs. One of these cases was recently argued before the United States Supreme Court. He has also successfully represented a wide range of professionals including attorneys, accountants, medical doctors, pharmacists, business executives, elected officials, government employees and corporations.
From 2006 to 2010, Mr. Friedman served on the State Bar of California Criminal Law Advisory Commission, which is the commission responsible for all aspects of certifying and re-certifying attorneys as criminal law specialists, and he served as its Chairman for the 2009 - 2010 term. Also, in the 2009 - 2010 term, Mr. Friedman was a member of the Rules Subcommittee of the State Bar of California's Board of Legal Specialization.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Law, State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Federal Courts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Southern California Law Center, Los Angeles, California
- Honors: Moot Court Honors Finalist
- University of California at Los Angeles
- Honors: cum laude
- Criminal Law News, State Bar of California, 1995
- Identity Conservation and Equivalence Conservation: A Question of Developmental Priority, Child Development, 1982
- Performance of Downs Syndrome Individuals on the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale, American Journal of Mental Deficiency, 1982
- Governments of France and Hong Kong (as a magistrate)
- United States Government
- Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Company
- General American Life Insurance Co.
- Metropolitan Insurance Company
- Fireman's Fund Insurance Companies
- St. Ives Laboratories, Inc.
- E.F. Hutton and Company, Inc.
- American Express
- Prudential-Bache Securities, Inc.
- Makar Properties, Inc.
- Chubb Insurance Group
- Pan American World Airlines, Inc.
- American Airlines, Inc.
- The Flying Tiger Line, Inc.
- Daimler-Benz Aktiengesellschaft
- Mercedes Benz of North America
- Koch Industries
- Goldrich & Kest Industries, LLC
- British Petroleum
- California Pharmacists Association, ARCO
Honors and Awards
- Los Angeles Business Journal's Healthcare Leadership Award (finalist) for "Lifetime Achievement" 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- American Bar Association, Member, White Collar Crime Committee
- American Bar Association, Member, Rules of Criminal Procedure and Evidence Committee
Past Employment Positions
- Department of Justice, Federal Prosecutor
- Hon. William P. Gray, Senior United States District Court Judge, Judicial Law Clerk
- Central District of California, Los Angeles, California, Assistant United States Attorney
- Psi Chi
- Pi Gamma Mu